Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fish and Fashion

1. Recently, I went out fishing while in Russell. We caught 3 little snapper and a quite big one (we didn’t weigh it, but my uncle suspected it was c. 5 to 6 kg). I watched my uncle clean it – taking out the guts, cutting open the little veiny thing and rinsing out all the blood then removing the head and tail. Obviously this is not the same as learning to clean and fillet a fish and actually doing it ourselves, which remains on the list, but it was a good introduction to the process for me.

We then filled it up with lemon and brown sugar and cooked it in tin foil on the barbecue. It was served with a hot / vinegary / coriandery / limey Thai dressing, made by Amy, who is genuinely Thai.

2. I have a beautiful necklace which has a tiny fork and spoon on a fine silver chain. I wear it basically every day because it is light and elegant and goes with almost everything. Consequently, however, I have a big bowl on my dresser in which I keep the dozens of necklaces that I scarcely ever wear, even though many of them are very lovely, and some would also help towards my goal of wearing more colour (as I type this I am in fact in a pink floral blouse I got on holiday, so that’s not going too badly). This is all by way of saying that my fashion challenge for next week is to wear a different necklace every day, preferably ones that are either colourful or otherwise statementy, to encourage me to add more variety to my jewellery choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment